Friday, July 10, 2009

2

22222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222

Last night James kept telling me that he wanted to run two miles. I don't know where he pulled that number from- out of the sky. Around 8:30 last night- after we dropped a load at the storage unit- James and I took off together. He has ridden his bike with me while I've run- but has never run with me. Last summer he would run around our block- which is .5 mile- and die about half way around because he started off at a sprint. So I had no idea what to expect. The first half mile had a huge hill in it- really huge- and I thought for sure we'd have to walk- but he put his head down and charged up! I told him the rule is- if you make it up the hill you can't walk at the top. And he kept going. At about 1 mile (he didn't know this) he asked me when he could walk. Now I have to confess to a little bit of trickery here...I told him he could walk at a mile and gave him a reference point to make it to. We made it there and I told him to relax and make it to the next point...I kept doing this until we had about .25 miles to go and I told him--"James- we're almost there- can you just run the whole way now?" And he took off!

Long story short he ran 2 miles in 19:14! That's a 9:37 mile pace- or something close! And afterwards he said, "I thought I'd be a little more tired then this!" Oh- words cannot express the sheer joy! I'll have a running partner in a few years- one that can kick my butt!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

very cool James. Stacy you make the best running coach. You're brutal, but you're the best.

Allison said...

Oooooh, so so cool! I remember you helping me run up at La Wis Wis and even though I didn't stick it out with you, I know I got further than I would have without you! Very fun for you to see your boy love the things you love....reading and now running!