Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Goblet of Fire


For those of you who have read Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire this is where that idea comes from, kind of. My kids are already bored and it's only the fourth day of summer...so here is the idea I came up with yesterday and so far it's been a hit! I put a bunch of things to do on little pieces of paper and put them in a "goblet" on the counter. If they are really bored or I see them just mope-ing around I tell them to go pick a card out of the goblet of fire. It's a binding contract and they have to do whatever it says. Some of the slips are chores, they get paid .25 a
chore, and it doesn't count as their "chore" for the day,some are read a book, play a game, or some are fun things to do-like bake cookies with Mom- and then I'm bound to stop what I'm doing and do it too (I didn't put too many in there like that!) James already drew out Sweep the garage this morning- and he did it without complaint. Emma drew out clean a kitchen cupboard and was very excited! But then they drew out build a fort so I had to keep my end of the deal. So it's a gamble they have to take or if they don't want to risk getting a chore to do they have to find something to do on their own...we'll see how cool it is in a few weeks- or days!!!

3 comments:

Allison said...

I'm totally stealing the idea...awesome!

Juli Chan said...

what a great idea! How do you always come up with all these fun things to do? I need to become more creative!

gramyflys said...

You are a brave and darling Mom! What a fun summer ahead! (Alli's Mom, Lori)