Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What's in a name?

My sister Jamie made me a CD for my birthday last year. That's all I ever want from her because she is amazing at mixing CD's! She entitled the CD "Little Wonders" and had a picture of each one of my children on the case. I thought that this was simply poignant. I have been obsessed with this "Little Wonders" song ever since. I think that the word wonder captures so much of what life is about right now. I wonder how I get up and keep going each day. I watch as James wonders how to be a little boy and a big boy at the same moment. Emma wonders why she doesn't get to play with her cousin Kiera anymore...because everyone is so busy:( That's not a hint to anyone...she just wonders that all day long every day.) Adam wonders why the sky is blue and why Kyle steals his toys all the time and why he has to go to bed everynight and how high he can make his Lego tower and if he dumps all the shampoo in the bathtub how many bubbles it will make. And Kyle. Wonder shines the brightest in Kyle's sweet eyes. Kyle wonders what in the world everyone else is doing running around and ignoring the amazing little things that light up his life. Like his matchbox race car zooming across the kitchen floor or belly buttons- wow! or the amazing things you can do with your tounge. Wonder is a precursor to so many great acts of history. Wonder is a precusor to so many beautiful simple moments in childhood. I wonder why I don't get down on my knees more often and beg to see life through the eyes of a child. And so I hope to capture the little wonders of life with my own Little Wonders!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

thanks so much for your insights Stacy! It helps me a lot when I start feeling overwhelmed and lost in all of the work and the competition and the grunge here to think of my family and especially your sweet little ones. I guess that's what is really important after all. They would have a blast in the sparkling snow drifts all around Provo right now, and I wish I could play with them and share their excitement about everything. I love you very much and thanks for all that you do!

Yin said...

Yes! Very wise words you speak!

Paul and Angela Baird said...

Oh, my sweet friend. Your words are so true. I think I need to add that song to my blog now! Thank goodness for children and all that they teach us. We would be blessed indeed if we could view the world through their eyes. I love you!

Lisa said...

I love you Stacy. Like Michelle, whenever I see a huge pile of snow (which is just about any time I'm outside and my eyes are open) I imagine how much Adam would go crazy to run and play in it, and how much fun it would be to play with him! Being able to be an Aunt to your kids has been the most rewarding experience I've had yet.