Sunday, June 22, 2008

Exploring our own backyard!

Trying to save vacation time and money to do a big Disneyland trip sometime next year we decided to head over to Seattle-in conjunction with a wedding- and see what we could entertain ourselves with. The weather was amazing. I'm sorry- but there is NOTHING like Seattle on a beautiful sunny day. It literally sparkles - and with Mt. Rainier clear as a bell in the background it still takes my breath away and makes my heart ache! We did a lot! And had so much fun with Ted's cousin Brian and his wife Rebbecca-put the kids to bed at night and played Settlers of Catan- and learned a new game called Ticket to Ride (Ang- if you and Paul haven't played this yet you're in for a treat- head on up here and we'll teach you!) Thanks again Brian and Rebbecca for letting us crash your house with all our kids!

We hit a Mariner's game on Wednesday night- after dinner at Dick's of course!






On Thursday we went to the Pacific Science Center and spent the entire day there. The kids loved the butterfly house- and the butterflies loved us! They kept landing on us! There was a lot to do and see and learn. James favorite station was the machine that measured the speed of your pitches. Kyle loved the dinosaurs!








I just have to say that the best person to go to the Science Center with is Ted! We learned a lot from our Dad!

That night Brian took us rock climbing. I love it when I find a new challange. I think I'm so fit and tough that I love to be humbled! It is not as easy as it looks! And is definitely a mental challenge more then anything. Tough little James scaled the wall twice! Ted and I barely made it once- thanks to a great coach!






On Friday we took a ferry out to Bainbridge Island and had a picnic lunch- then headed home pretty wiped out.



Saturday I visited some old haunts- my homes that I grew up in and my elementary school. I was pretty emotional as I walked around the school with my kids and showed them which classrooms I went to school in and we talked about the teachers I had. I felt so richly blessed with good childhood memories and experiences. I hope that my children look back- when they're about to turn 30!- and have the same warm fuzzy feelings that I did yesterday when I think about growing up. I have to say I can't think of a better way to celebrate 30 years on this earth then sharing my childhood experiences with my own children. This weekend really was my childhood in a nutshell. Thanks for the memories Mom and Dad- and the traditions started. I hope they continue...

8 comments:

Lori said...

Oh fun! I agree, nothing beats Seattle on a beautiful sunny day. Sounds like a great trip! i'm jealous

Great picture at Safeco, must have been a great photographer :)

Lisa said...

hey Stacy! I'm glad you guys had so much fun in Seattle, and I'm glad you posted so many pictures! I love you guys and your cuter than cute kids!

Boyce Family said...

Happy Birthday Stacy. It sounds like you had an enjoyable trip, thanks for sharing. I will be in WA visiting for the 4th of July and we so need to catch up and visit. I'll keep you posted. Love you lots!

Allison said...

Oh, what a perfect weekend for you! I'm so glad you got to walk down memory lane and that you took the time to make sure your kids knew where their mom came from and what her life was like. It's not the same to just hear about it. Crazy to think that tomorrow you'll be 30!!!!! I'm so glad you got to celebrate in such a personally rewarding way.

Who took those pics at SafeCo? Sounds like Lori was there??? Whoever took them did a great job and the night looks like a blast! You guys are fun parents...way to go!

Yankee Haffners said...

Stacy - thanks for the pictures of Seattle, your family, and Soos Creek. I'm perhaps a little prideful in believing that I can make anywhere my home as long as I have my family with me. At least that's the case right now with Indiana. However, the combination of pictures, your comments, and the background music had me missing Seattle and had me really missing you guys. We love you and think of you often, despite the 2,000 miles.

Yin said...

WOW!!! It looks FUN!!! Your family is beautiful! You guys look great!

Paul and Angela Baird said...

What a fun family vacation!!! Not as fun as our little reunion is going to be at Disneyland!!!!! Of course, nothing is more fun than hanging out with the Bairds! Tee Hee!!!! I loved the pics. Seeing Dick's burgers and Safeco Field made me sad that we didn't make it out there this summer. Here's looking forward to May 2009!!!

Paul and Angela Baird said...

Oh...and I've heard about Ticket to Ride. We'll have to play it sometime soon!